Earlier this morning I stumbled across a blog about women/relationships. A few posts were dedicated to questions you shouldn't ask men (I think particularly on dates/getting to know them). This list of questions brought to mind the question "What is the best decision you've made?" I can't remember if that question is on the list or not, but maybe it should be. Maybe it shouldn't. I don't know. But it made me think. What if somebody asked me that? What would I say?
I suppose a good free-willer would say "Jesus." However, I'm not sure how much of that is me, but much is Christ. I do know that in my sinning state, I don't see how I would come to him. I don't know. God is good and I'm glad I am his daughter. Anyway, so I decided not to put this one in the running.
How about coming to Truman? Oh, how glad I am that I am here! And if it was fully my decision, perhaps I could say this. But I had no intention of applying. My mom made me. And Truman granted me the Leadership Scholarship, and MoBap did not grant me the highest scholarship. And Mom highly encouraged me to come due to these things. Was it my decision in the end? Perhaps, but it was not all on my own.
How about spending my summer at Gerard and Meagan's and making that family? Well, I can't remember if the idea was initially mine and Kasia encouraged me, or if she brought the idea to me. And Gerard and Meagan had to say yes. I could not have made that decision without them.
How about some of my friendships? Yes, I have decided to be friends with certain people. But to a degree, that does not work if they do not also decide to be my friend. It's not all me.
How about my major? Oh, how I love my major. Nothing else seemed right though. Over a break freshman spring semester, I sat down with the course catalog and poured over possible classes. Philosophy and Religion held the ones I was most interested in. Was that my decision? Well, yeah. But I couldn't have made another one. Perhaps this is the one that would best fit to answer the question. After all, it has encouraged my faith, challenged my faith, brought me friendships, brought me questions and new ideas.
The point here is that my decisions weren't made all on my own. Decisions are scary. I'm terrified of making the wrong one. But in a sense, the decisions aren't completely up to us. We have guides that help us. Yes, perhaps the final "yes" or "no" is ours to say, but we are not alone.
Decisions can be quite lonely. They can take us far from home--physically and emotionally. And sometimes, although yes, we have help, the final "yes" or "no" or "stay" or "go" is up to us. But that does not mean we can't seek help in our decision making process. It does not have to be an entirely lonely endeavor. At least, I don't think it has to be. I hope not. (I mean, God's here.)
Please, if you have thoughts of this, comment, let me know. I'd love to discuss. Even if you disagree--That's a fact of life I need to get used to. :)
We talked about this today. :)
ReplyDelete