I'm going to preface this entire thing with "I'm confused and I'm thinking and bear with me in love please."
Okay.
Tonight I went to a "Night of Worship" on this last night of the National Worship Leader Conference.
Which felt concert-y to me. Here are my thoughts.
Flashing lights don't help me worship.
Loud music does not help me worship.
People telling me to raise my hands and shout if I'm redeemed do not help me worship.
I actually take a bit of issue with the term "worship leader." A worship leader leads in the singing. Did you know worship is not excluded to singing? It really isn't. Check out Merriam Webster if you don't believe me. Why don't we call them song leaders?
Maybe some of this is because I grew up in a small, traditional, Presbyterian church. We sit in pews, no one leads worship. Mary or Joan played piano or the organ and we all sang hymns corporately. Even guitars were somewhat rare. We do NOT clap hands. We do NOT lift hands. We do NOT shout. (Except one time when Billy was preaching and told us to shout "undignified!" ... It was about David and his loincloth dancing. Anyway. That's a different story.)
Maybe. But even if it's a part, that's not the whole of it.
Despite being frustrated sometimes with not "feeling" anything, I don't want my worship, my faith, my life, to be about emotionalism. To be about MY emotions. Dude, those change all the time. (To be fair: One song writer tonight did sing about not wanting to build on the sands of feelings that change every day or something like that.) I am not an emotional worshiper. I never really have been. Not that I never get emotional during worship. That'd be a lie. But not often. Is that wrong? I don't really "abandon" myself to "worship" songs and whatnot ... or even supposedly to Jesus in a demonstrative way during what is called worship. I don't want to get sucked into emotionalism that will not sustain me or my faith. Emotions are not steady. Trust me. If I give in to emotions and what not during these times, I'll be on some sort of high that'll go when I wake up the next morning, if not before. I try not to base decisions on emotions. I can't really, since they change. I would not be able to base my faith actions and my life on emotionalism during a night of worship, so to say. My faith must be steady. My faith must be in how I live EVERYDAY. (And I mean every day as well as everyday (life).)
I probably thought judgmental thoughts tonight.
Also, this 14-year-old came up and sang a song she wrote when she was 11. Every time these things happen, I think "What am I doing with my life??? Geeez." And then she sings about wandering in the desert and I wonder what an 11-year-old could possibly know about desert wanderings, and then remind myself that yes, people of that age can experience more things than I give them allowance for. We live in a broken world and while maybe no kid should have a desert time, so to say, it's possible she did... Maybe I Jesus Juked myself?
Sigh.
Oh, and then someone started talking about angels and heaven and singing and I was like "What."
And then I'm pretty sure I felt some hearts breaking. They mentioned Revelation 5, saying that "Worthy is the Lamb" is one of the songs will be singing in heaven. I do not deny that. But I don't think that is what Revelation 5 is telling us. Worthy is the Lamb who was slain. You hear that the Lion of Judah has conquered and you see the Slain Lamb. It just seemed like he ripped it out of context and was focused on our singing. And worshiping God is OH so important, do not get me wrong. But I think by just taking that line out, you miss so much. (Edit: I've thought about this a lot since posting. I really don't think it's horrible that he said that'd be a song we'd sing in heaven. I appreciate that passage so much, for ALL it says, that it was frustrating (to say the least) to hear "Revelation 5" and then not talk about what was going on in that chapter.)
And then they said that worship-by which they meant singing-was preparation for heaven. And that in heaven there will be no sermons. I suppose that was supposed to be funny since this was a worship leaders' conference? Sigh. I don't know about sermons in heaven, but I don't know about singing as preparation for heaven either.
I just don't know.
And then I wondered if I think wrongly about God and have problems praising him and worshiping him.
I'm confused and I have lots of questions.
What does proper worship look like?
How can emotions be tied into my faith (if they should)?
If I die before the new heaven and new earth--what will this "old" heaven be like until then? Question mark over that whole situation.
I've been learning not to base my faith and my decisions on emotions. You're right -- those things change all the time. I've really enjoyed worship times here with YWAM -- there's music and singing, but also lots of time for prayer and for the group to speak out what God is showing them for the direction we can go.
ReplyDeleteBut the real thing is, worship is a way of life. Worship is our life. It can't be constrained to whatever we call a worship time. Our lives are to be living sacrifices. Our thoughts, actions, and words are to line up with truth.
Thanks for your thoughts, Sophia. If you learn anything about emotions and faith, let me know.
Miss you.
I definitely understand where you're coming from, and I agree completely.
ReplyDeleteSometimes, I get emotional in worship, but I've never been a person to be demonstrative about it. And I really hate having the implication (subtle or overt) that I'm not really worshiping, not really loving, if I don't stand up and raise my hands and clap and shout and whatever. As if the one who makes the most noise wins the holiness contest?
Lots of people shouted and jumped up and down for Jesus, but notice that we also read a lot about the ones that could do no more than reach out in a crowd and touch the edge of his robe.
Here are my thoughts:
ReplyDeleteI agree on the lights and loudness. There is a Church of Christ group out here at camp right now and I went to worship the other night. At first I thought.. this is weird.. I didn't think a capella worship would be so weird, but it is and I don't know how to get into it. But then I realized I really had to focus on the words and not the music, and I ended up having an amazing time of worship.
Another thing. When I got back from camp a year ago I had a really hard time "worshiping" because I knew that wasn't what worship was about. I mean, yes, we can sing songs, but I wanted to DO something. I wanted to worship God by loving someone or serving someone. It just seemed like true worship to me. I wanted to worship through obedience.
I don't know. I just always feel like the best times of worship are when I'm already worshiping before I start singing the song, that the song is already on my lips before I even see the words.
Some more thoughts: Sometimes emotions are to meant to bring us to action. Sometimes there are things God is calling me to do, but I'm afraid of them. Sometimes it's only in times when my emotions are stirred that I have the courage to do them. Sometimes (a lot lately) I am really stubborn toward God. I know He's trustworthy, but I don't want to trust Him. I know I need Him but I don't want to rely on Him, and it's sometimes in those moments of emotion that I finally let that wall down. But I think the problem with emotion is when we stop short and don't let it bring us to action. (And by action I don't mean lifting up your hands or anything, but letting your heart be changed toward obedience and true worship--of the heart)
But then there's also times I've had where I didn't really like any worship songs because I felt like all the words in them were too tame and couldn't express how I felt. The only song I discovered that could at the time was "Desire" by Phil Wickham
"I'm running through the gates of love as fast as I can
I can't wait to see You, 'cause I'm desperate man
You made the light and sent it down to show us who You are
Now it's bursting out my heart
My desire is burning like a million stars
And I'll keep reaching out, reaching out for You
I'd be nothing without You, yeah, I would die
If I didn't have Your hand, if I couldn't look into Your eyes
Jesus, if Your love's the fuel then I'm the desperate flame
That's screaming out Your name
My desire is burning like a million stars
And I'll keep reaching out, reaching out for You
My desire is burning with the fire You sparked
And I'll keep reaching out, reaching out for You
This is glory rising over a new horizon
I see Your love, I feel Your smile
You're in my heart and I will run
With all I have to You"
But I don't think we have to lift our hands or do anything else, nor should we until we feel like we can't hold back because that really is how we are feeling and how we want to express it. Otherwise we're just pretending and everything is hollow actions and that's no fun. But God doesn't need us to sing songs. We could have a great spiritual life and never sing songs, I'm sure. Some people are more emotional than others, some people don't get emotional much, but it doesn't mean they have a harder time spiritually, I don't think. They can still worship and obey God just as much.
So yep... those are my thoughts. Here's a good verse:
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship."
Read this: http://www.boundlessline.org/2012/08/the-painful-subject-of-prayer.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boundlessline%2Fblog+%28Blog%3A+Boundless+Line%29
ReplyDelete