Friday, July 20, 2012

Vanilla=/=Molasses (And Other Domestic Adventures)

That's clearly a "does not equal" sign, right?

So tonight I made the beloved granola. Well, I'm sorta still in the process of making. It's still in the oven. I donned the apron and everything. Halfway through, though, because I forgot at first. Oops.
MENNONITE COOKBOOK


I couldn't remember if we doubled the batch (like the pancakes) or not. So I finally decided to just make one batch and if that didn't fill in two pans right, then I'd make another one. In the first batch I couldn't remember for a while if I had counted to 6 cups of oats or not. What if I lost track? (Can you imagine if I had to count TWELVE cups??) For the record: I've been tired today. (I haven't been sleeping terribly well. Mer.) And then my chest was like "hey, I don't have enough breath." So I was like "okay, fine... Treatment it is." So, I was a little shaky and not the most alert I've ever been. *Thoughtful look* Maybe that should have been a sign to not cook, but I finished the granola (affectionately referred to as "crumbles" here.) a day or two ago, we needed more. Maybe not quite as desperate as when the pancakes run out (Those are sad, sad times until a new batch is made.).

I use parentheses a lot.

Anyway. My oat amount was fine. For the second batch though, I picked up the nearest container on the table with dark black liquid. I needed half a cup of molasses. Then suddenly, that molasses seemed very liquidy and it was pouring quite easily. AHHH. IT'S VANILLA. Thankfully I didn't get too far, haha. But can you imagine if I had put in that much vanilla? I don't actually know what would happen. But it ended up okay. No. Worries.

And, when I get to make it, I leave out the coconut and use sunflower seeds. Sometimes Meagan mixes it. And I make sure that half the batch is raisin-free! Hoooorayyyy, raisins are gross. But I forgot to put nuts in it this time, but that's okay. It's an optional thing.

So while I'm doing this baking, I'm listening to a sermon. I prefer to do tasks while I listen to sermons. It helps my working and my attention. However, it's problematic when the person makes multiple points I want to remember. Because I can't remember them all. I'm focused on one 'til he brings another 'round.

I really need to refine my sermon/lecture listening habits possibly.

So, as I'm making granola and listening to a sermon, I think "It's so fun to get those glimpses of what you want your life to be like... This is it." Oh, so apparently I want to listen to sermons and make food. I think the key in that though is home and Jesus. Also, there is no true home without Jesus. HOW COOL IS IT THAT I'M GOING TO MARRY A MAN WHO LOVES JESUS?? How EXCITING is that? I get to marry a man who loves Jesus more than he loves me. But he will love me. A man who desires God's kingdom come.

Maybe we can listen to sermons and make food together. :)

Okay, granola finished! First pan I pulled out came off the pan easily, and was so good. So so delicious. Warm homemade granola? Winning.

Then the second pan.

Somehow this was the pan that it mattered on that I forgot to grease. Great. So I had to scrape with a knife and my hands and try to get the granola off the pan. Yet again, Sophia cannot cook without making a mess. Well, that batch got raisins anyway. So.
These crumbles were from the "good" batch. 
Way delish. And now the non-greased pans are soaking haha. So domestic adventures not quite done. I will probably also have to have some sort of chocolate snack soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment